Holiday Safety

holidayThe holiday season is fun and exciting. The colorful decorations seem to bring out the kid in most of us, especially around Christmas. Stringed lights adorn not only trees, but also stairways, rooftops, sidewalks, and appear almost everywhere else in and around homes and businesses.

Make you holiday season safe as well as fun.

  • Carefully inspect each electrical decoration. Cracked or frayed sockets, loose or bare wires and loose connections may cause a serious shock or start a fire.
  • Don’t staple or nail through light strings or electrical/extension cords – you could damage the wire or insulation, which could lead to an electrical shock or fire.
  • Don’t overload extension cords or allow them to run through water or snow on the ground.
  • Before using any light strings, animated displays, or other electrical decorations outdoors, make sure the product is approved by a nationally recognized certification organization and marked “For Outdoor Use.”
  • Don’t use electrical ornaments or light strings on artificial trees with metallic leaves or branch coverings. This could cause an electrical shock.
  • Turn off all electrical light strings and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.

Follow the use and care instructions that come with the electrical decorations.